Some questions regarding the Cyrus server

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Oct 31 13:49:38 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Jason Williams wrote:

> For instance, would it be beneficial to have a cyrus box at each branch
> location? From what I can recall, the MURDER protocal will allow mail to be
> replicated to any of the cyrus mail servers anywhere, correct? If that is
> the case, then in theory, if I had a cyrus mail server at the corporate
> office and one at a branch office, then I could replicate the mail from the
> corp office to the branch office, correct? Or am I way off.

No, Cyrus murder does not replicate mail.  It does provide a unified
namespace across a distributed set of servers.

One thing that might be interesting in your setup is to put a backend at
your mail hub with all the shared mailboxes, and a backend (and frontend)
at each local office with the mailboxes for the users who are there, so
that your offices can share the shared mailboxes, but still have fast
access to their local mail.

Wether this is a real benefit or not depends somewhat on your usage and
your bandwidth between the central hub and the offices.

- Rob