Cyrus on FreeBSD

Pat Lashley patl+cyrus at volant.org
Tue Nov 4 12:36:33 EST 2003

--On Monday, November 03, 2003 16:44:16 -0800 Jason Williams
<jwilliams at courtesymortgage.com> wrote:

> I was curious if anyone was running Cyrus on a FreeBSD system? I'm
> strongly considering running cyrus for our mail server here and I noticed
> that is currently available via the ports tree for FreeBSD.
>
> I would like to know what your experiences have been: Good? Bad?
> How's your performance and if you have had any big problems?
>
> I really like what Cyrus has to offer and I'm leaning to implementing
> this on our Company network.

I've been running Cyrus on FreeBSD systems for several years now;
and have been very happy with it.  I use it within my LAN, on a
server providing jailed virtual hosting, and at customer enterprise
sites.  No problems, no performance issues.  (Until recently, I
was running about a dozen virtual domains, each with its own Cyrus
server, on a 450MHz K6-2 with 256Mb of RAM.)

My first installations were before the port was available; but I
switched over for updates and new installs.  I can recommend using
the port; but you'll probably want to check out the various knobs
available first.  (Look in the port's Makefile.)

There are several versions available via the ports.  I'm currently
using 2.2.  It is officially still Beta; but seems to be solid enough
for a producton environment.

-Pat