sendmail-8.12.6+cyrus-imapd-2.0.17: check presence of the cyrus mailbox during establishing SMTP connection

Andrzej Filip anfi at priv.onet.pl
Wed Nov 5 14:08:26 EST 2003

Igor Brezac wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Andrzej Filip wrote:
>

>>Igor Brezac wrote:
>>
>>>On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Andrzej Filip wrote:
>>>[...]
>>>
>>>True, this would be a long way of doing things.  Shell/perl/web/etc
>>>scripts can automate the process of managing cyrus mboxlist and sendmail
>>>maps simultaneously thus keeping the two databases in sync "real time".
>>
>>IMHO making cyrus daemon servicing also simple tcp based "map protocol" (to be
>>introduced in sendmail 8.13) is a better way. I bet it :)
>
> In my opinion it is better if it does more than just the mbox
> verification.  I'd like to see the quota check as well.

The current protocol specification allows only passing one parameter (key)
queries e.g. mailbox name. I am going to try make it capable to pass multiple
parameters queries e.g. mailbox name, "SIZE=" parameter.

It would be nice to allow interaction with sieve rules at "RCPT TO:" stage.
[it seems to be possible from sendmail's perspective]

> I am not sure if
> the "map protocol" allows for multiple return codes rather than just
> yes/no type answer.  Then there is the performance consideration, I would
> hope that the "map protocol" allows for a "persistent" tcp connection.

* return codes
<quote>
The status indicator is one of the following upper case words:
	OK       the key was found, result contains the looked up value
	NOTFOUND the key was not found, the result is empty
	TEMP     a temporary failure occured
	TIMEOUT  a timeout occured on the server side
	PERM     a permanent failure occured
</quote>
* current "map protocol" uses TCP connections
(one tcp connection per one sendmail process)
I hope UDP (connectionless) transport will be supported too.

--
Andrzej [pl>en: Andrew] Adam Filip http://www.polbox.com/a/anfi/
anfi at priv.onet.pl anfi at xl.wp.pl [former: anfi at Box43.pl]