sendmail-8.12.6+cyrus-imapd-2.0.17: check presence of the cyrus mailbox during establishing SMTP connection

Gary Mills mills at cc.UManitoba.CA
Tue Nov 4 14:20:04 EST 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 06:35:31PM +0100, Andrzej Filip wrote:
> Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> >
> >If there are any better ways to achieve the same end, I'd also be
> >interested.
>
> There are two alternative approaches I can think of right now:
> 1) custom milter
> [servicing only "RCPT TO:"]
> 2) socket map
> [ available in 8.13 preview http://www.sendmail.org/8.13.0.PreAlpha4.html ]

It seems to me that the proper place to achieve this integration is
during the SMTP authentication process.  If all IMAP users should be
allowed to use SMTP, then it's easy to do by checking the IMAP
authentication database.  If only certain IMAP users should be allowed
to use SMTP, it becomes a bit more complicated.  A good way to isolate
all of the authentication and authorization is to do it with PAM
modules.