cyrus-overview.html - authentication and mailboxes sections

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Nov 5 01:25:10 EST 2003

Hi folks

Just a quick comment about the document:
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/cyrus-overview-TOC.html

The note at the top states that "This document has not been reviewed in
detail since 1997. However, the technical content is still basically
valid. We hope to review and update it soon." This seems mostly true,
but the authentication/authorization section appears to bear little
resemblance to the current sasl-based scheme. Perhaps it's worth noting
in the document that the authentication/authorisation is now more
complex than just '(kerberos_v4|shadow)'.

Also, perhaps it'd be good to add a short note under the mailboxes
database section, explaining about mailbox backups. Something like "If
you have a berkley-db mailbox database you should also make a plaintext
backup using:
	su - cyrus -c "ctl_mboxlist -d" > /var/imap/mailboxes.txt
"

After all, it's possible that Cyrus may need to be bought up quickly on
a new system that may not use the same db scheme - yes?

I realise that the document is out of date, but it seems worth making a
few updates if it's to remain so prominent (linked to from the Cyrus
frontpage).

Craig Ringer