Site-wide Sieve script

Jules Agee julesa at pcf.com
Thu Nov 6 18:15:54 EST 2003

No site-wide sieve scripts.

I set up SpamAssassin so it only adds an X-Spam-Status and spam score
headers to each message. That way, by default SA is completely
transparent to the users, no action is taken by default except adding
that header. I also set up a cgi interface for sieve (similar to the one
included with SquirrelMail). Then I put up a web page accessible to
users who want spam control, with instructions for setting up their own
sieve filters, and a link to the sieve cgi. That way, they can choose
the "spam score" that they want to filter on, they can choose whether to
discard it, or file it into a folder to periodically check for false
positives (recommended). The users also have the option of using filters
built into their mail client if they would rather not use sieve.

The biggest advantage to this setup from my point of view is that if
there are any lost messages the users can't blame us. :-)

So far, it has been a success, despite the fact that spammers have been
getting better at dodging SpamAssassin lately.  I'm currently using
Mozilla 1.4's built-in bayes filter to catch the spam that gets past SA.

-Jules Agee

--
Jules Agee
System Administrator