Hot backups

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Nov 14 04:24:17 EST 2003

> I've been using XFS on LVM and I think it doesn't have the problem you
> describe. With XFS, you have to call 'xfs_freeze -f' before taking the
> snapshot, then you 'xfs_freeze -u' it again.

That's exactly what I need for reiserfs :-( . Darn. I guess that's
something to note in the Cyrus FAQ - xfs makes backing up Cyrus easier.

> Would be nice to have something like a 'cyrus_freeze' command. Maybe there
> is a way to do this with SIGSTOP/SIGCONT?

I was thinking about that, but came to the conclusion that it wouldn't
save me from things like half-completed db writes, etc. I couldn't
SIGSTOP the master (to prevent new LMTP deliveries) without also
preventing new IMAP connections :-(

Craig Ringer