Hot backups

Simon Matter simon.matter at ch.sauter-bc.com
Fri Nov 14 10:36:48 EST 2003

> On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Simon Matter wrote:
>
>> Would be nice to have something like a 'cyrus_freeze' command. Maybe
>> there
>> is a way to do this with SIGSTOP/SIGCONT?
>
> At this point, you might as well just kill the server, since you won't be
> able to do almost anything for the duration of the snapshot.

IIRC taking a snapshot with LVM/XFS takes just a few seconds. I guess
everything should continue after the snapshot. What do the cyrus processes
do if they receive SIGSTOP? Will they stop immediately or will they not
stop at all? I mean, if a process receives SIGSTOP while it writes to a
file, will the write finish before the process stops?

Simon