Routing email within the domain

proescho at informatik.uni-muenchen.de proescho at informatik.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Nov 16 18:50:24 EST 2003

> To All:

hi,

> In my 'test.org' domain I have two Cyrus email servers:  server1 and
> server2.
> There are two email boxes: boxa on server1 and boxb on server2.
>
> I want to address email to the 'test,org' domain like this:
>
>        boxa at test.org and boxb at test.org
>
> I have established two MX records in DNS like this:
>
>        mail1    MX  10  mail1.server1.test.org
>        mail3    MX  20  mail2.server2.test.org
>
> Only email to boxa on server1 actually gets delivered.  What am I doing
>  wrong?

why should mail be delivered to oth boxes?
Two MX Records do not mean that mail ist delivered to both targets.
Its just a redundancy thing.
If the MX with the lowest priority is unreachable, the second it tried.

you could check the imap aggregator.
but this thing sounds beeing a little overkill for you.

you might try to rewrite
boxa at test.org to boxa at boxa.test.org
and
boxb at test.org to boxa at boxb.test.org
and route the mail based on the subdomain.

> Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any help you can
> give.

greetings
timo