cannot get idled to run

Craig Constantine craig at blkbx.com
Thu Nov 20 14:17:30 EST 2003

--On Thursday, November 20, 2003 10:08 AM -0800 Ted Cabeen
<ted at impulse.net> wrote:

>>> You could trace it.  Do you see idled in the process table?
>>> fuser might also tell you what process has the socket open.
>>
>> I've never done that. Can you give me the 3-line crash course in
>> tracing? :)
>
> It depends on your operating system.  What are you using?

Problem solved!

[wrap up for the 'ol archiving engines...]

I gave strace a shot with Cyrus still running: I tried to start idled as
the cyrus user using strace:

# su - cyrus -c 'strace /usr/cyrus/bin/idled -C /etc/imapd.conf'

 I immediately noticed it was trying to unlink() the socket -- which failed
for permission denied. Then it went on to try to bind to the socket. From
strace...

[snip...]
unlink("/var/imap/socket/idle")         = -1 EACCES (Permission denied)
umask(0)                                = 077
bind(3, {sin_family=AF_UNIX, path="/var/imap/socket/idle"}, 24) = -1
EADDRINUSE (Address already in use)
[snip...]

Bear in mind that there absolutely no other idled's running and fuser on
the socket shows no processes are using it...

I haven't coded sockets in years... digging in the bind(2) man page, led to
the unix(7) man page which warns that, "binding to a socket with a filename
creates a socket in the file system that MUST BE DELETED by the caller when
it is no longer needed..."

So idled is calling unlink() as part of it's startup procedure to clean up
leavings from previous idled's; unlink() fails but it goes on hoping the
bind() will suceed. Idled finally exits when the bind fails because the
socket already exists.

I added group write perm to my /var/imap/socket dir. (I have mine set to be
owned by the Sendmail smmsp user.) Ding. idled starts and runs fine.

-Craig