Changelog, LDAP features

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Nov 19 10:48:53 EST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Ken Murchison wrote:

> > 2) Is there a list of planned featues and features which is being worked
> > on?
>
> Not really.  The cyrus-devel list or the Cyrus Wiki would be the most
> obvious places for this type of thing to exist.

Generally if someone suggests a feature that we want to implement
"sometime", we throw it in our bugzilla so we don't forget.

However, currently I think we're heading into a mostly-maintenance period
(after 2.2 gets a "stable" release -- possibly by the end of the year,
certainly by the end of January).

> > 3) Are there any plans to allow some further integration of LDAP? I am
> > thinking about:
> >
> > a) Fetching Sieve-scripts from LDAP (would guess not)
>
> No, but I don't see why it couldn't exist.  I don't know if you'd want
> integration with timsieved or not (probably not).

There's no plans for this.  There's no real strong reasons against it,
except for performance -- currently we mmap the bytecode directly
from disk, as opposed to having to download it for each delivery
(even from a local replica, this is a lose).

> > b) Fetching Quota settings from LDAP (same)
>
> This would be fairly trivial once the quota stuff gets changed to use
> the cyrusdb interface.  Then all that would need to be done would be to
> write a cyrusdb_ldap backend.  In fact the cyrusdb_ldap backend could be
> written any time.

Again, no plans, and no reasons against except for performance.

Quotas get updated surprisingly frequently (every delivery, APPEND, COPY,
and EXPUNGE), so having them in LDAP may not be desirable from a
performance standpoint (LDAP directories don't tend to be designed around
near-continuous updates).

-Rob