Message IDS

Dan Ohnesorg Dan at fel.cvut.cz
Thu Nov 20 12:46:18 EST 2003

Dne Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 10:25:03AM -0500, Ken Murchison napsal:

After a day of work I can say somethink more.

> Did you reconstruct the mailbox?  If not, you should so that the
> cyrus.index file gets updated.

Yes, didn't help.

> If this doesn't solve the problem, then you might want to try removing
> the cyrus.index file from a test mailbox and then reconstructing it.
> This should update the UIDVALIDITY value which will force your client to
> refetch messages, even if it has seen a given UID already.

This we didn't try and it won't be probably possible do now, I will look.

I can say, the problem we have seen only on Outlook 2000 and Outlook
Express 6, mozilla mail and thunderbird are OK. But we have only about 5
users of mozilla on 100 outlook users. But about 1/2 of users didn't
reported the problem at all (no one knows if they didn't have problem, or
didn't cared about it).

I have tried o remove [username].seen file and recosntructed mailbox. This
didn't help and all flags of messages are lost. Not very good solution. I
have returned original file.

Good solution was to alter account settings in outlook and then agree to
refresh mailbox subscription and reload of all mesages. Outlook 2000 need to
remove Personal Folders .pst file. But it was very annoying to do it whole
day.

I see one potential problem. Or two, first server side, backup takes some
amount of time, there are about 25GB in mailoboxes. We are backuping
/var/lib/imap and /var/spool/imap (mailboxes). I am sure, that when I am
backuping last mailbox, there are many messages delivered, which arent'
reflected in /var/lib/imap/user/*.seen, I dont know if it is critical. I
expect this incosistency is solved by running recover -r -f for every
mailbox.

Second problem, the client is broken. I will try do reproduce it.

cheers
dan