$50 to anyone who can help me fix this problem (serious)

Nicholas Brealey nick at brealey.org
Sat Nov 22 07:20:43 EST 2003

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> Drat, I should have read your email more throughoutly
>

>>Looking at the qFile, I see:
>>MDeferred: cyrus mailer (/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL
>

> AHA!
>
> Get the new cyrus m4 macros and use them instead, that should fix the issue.
> Do not use deliver, do a direct lmtp delivery...
>
> Otherwise, strace -f -F sendmail, and try to see why deliver fails to open
> the lmtp unix socket...

I don't know what version of sendmail you are running but recent versions
of sendmail include a cyrusv2 mailer, so you could try changing

MAILER(`cyrus')

MAILER(cyrusv2)dnl

and regenerating your sendmail.cf file and change

CYRUS           cyrus:INBOX

CYRUS           cyrusv2:INBOX

in /etc/mail/mailertable

The normal way to run cyrus is actually to make it the local mailer
(I am not sure if cyrusv2:INBOX above works).

To use cyrusv2 as the local mailer add

define(`confLOCAL_MAILER', `cyrusv2')

to your mc file before the mailer defininitions (you still need to include MAILER(local)).
You could then remove the aliases pointing to x at CYRUS.

The permissions issues mentioned in previous messages still apply.

Nick