$50 to anyone who can help me fix this problem (NEW INFO)

Bruce A. Bergman bruceb at fatcity.com
Sat Nov 22 10:37:09 EST 2003

Thanks to everyone who is passing suggestions my way.  In case you're
curious, none of them have worked so far... :-(

One person (Henrique de Moraes Holschuh <hmh at debian.org>) gave me a
suggestion that DID reveal an interesting data point, however, so I thought
I would add this into the conversation.  Especially for those sites who run
mail service for more than one domain.  Maybe this will jog someone's
memory...

If I am locally on my mail server, sitting at the shell prompt, I can use
sendmail, mail, rmail, etc to send mail to the test address and it goes to
all recipients, including me, perfectly.  Just as expected.

If I go to any other Linux machine in my domain and send mail from it, it
naturally tries to make a sendmail connection to the registered mail handler
for my domain (the other machine).  Straight linux-to-linux sendmail
transfers work correctly and again, everyone receives the message perfectly.

If I go to my www server, which is a winnt box running apache, and I try to
send mail from it (not running sendmail), its MTA makes an SMTP connection
to my mail server and then the situation promptly goes awry.  The message
ends up the in the mqueue as previously discussed.

Here are the headers of the message queued up:
MDeferred: cyrus mailer (/usr/cyrus/bin/deliver) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL
Fb
$_www.fatcity.com [66.27.56.211]
$rSMTP
$sfatcity.com
${daemon_flags}
${if_addr}66.27.56.213
S<bruceb at fatcity.com>
Cbruceb:8:0:local:bruceb
RFDA:bruceb at CYRUS
H?P?Return-Path: <g>
H??Received: from fatcity.com (www.fatcity.com [66.27.56.211])
        by www2.fatcity.com (8.11.6/8.11.6) with SMTP id hAMFKt713296
        for testing at somesite.com; Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:20:55 -0800
H?x?Full-Name: Bruce A. Bergman
H??Received: by fatcity.com (wcMail)
        id 39583W Sat, 22 Nov 2003 07:26:10 -0800
H??From: bruceb at fatcity.com

Does any of this new information help??

thanks,
bruce