Mailboxes which won't come back online

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 24 20:52:57 EST 2003

This using Cyrus 2.1.15 ...

Last week I pestered this list about a situation wherein the contents of
/var/lib/cyrus (i.e. the database) were lost in a system crash while the
contents of /var/spool/cyrus/mail (i.e. the actual messages) were
preserved.  After using

  cyradm -> cm

to recreate the user.username mailboxes and running

  cyrreconstruct -r user.username

for each account, the system is mostly back in working order with one
exception.  One of the users has a mail folder which contains no messages
but only other folders.  Try as I might, I simply can't get cyrus to
acknowledge the existence of this folder or any of it's sub-folders; i.e.
when I run

     cyrreconstruct -r user.this_user_name

it picks up everthing in /var/spool/cyrus/mail/m/user/muser
EXCEPT for the this particular directory.  Consequently the folders don't
show up in any IMAP MUA, either, and hence can't be used.

Running `cyrreconstruct -f user.this_user_name` first doesn't do anything,
either.

Does anyone have any idea why this might be and/or how I can get these
folders back into the cyrus database?  The permission on all files are the
same, so it can't be a permissions problem.  Since this directory doesn't
contain any actual messages, the files

  cyrus.cache  cyrus.header cyrus.index  cyrus.seen

don't exist, but they are in the subdirectories which contain actual
messages.

Of course this user has 25 or so filters set up which automatically filter
messages to mail folders in this directory, so having this stuff not
available through the cyrus server is a major pain in the a**.

In general, it's rather disturbing to be in a situation where physical
messages actually exist in the cyrus mail heirarchy, but the cyrus server
refuses to see them.