Newbie question

Allister Gearon al at fairford.co.uk
Tue Nov 25 07:44:47 EST 2003

Jordi,
    first of all I am using SuSE 8.2.  Having installed the rpms;
cyrus-imapd, cyrus-sasl2, perl-cyrus-imap (provides cyradm, cyrus
configuration tool), and postfix; the set up was as follows (I included the
most important - I think! - parameters, but I can send the whole file if you
wish) ;

/etc/imapd.conf
    admins:    cyrus
    allowanonymouslogin:    no
    sasl_pwcheck_method:    auxprop

    Then (note that the default admin here is cyrus, a system user created
for administerring Cyrus IMAP);

    saslpasswd2 cyrus

    Enter you password as asked and confirm that the user cyrus is in the
sasldb with;

    sasldblistusers2

    You should see something like:

    cyrus at yourmachine: userPassword

Start the cyrus-imapd daemon, with a <rccyrus start> (on SuSE.).
You should now be able to use cyradm thus;

    cyradm --auth login localhost --user cyrus

Provide the password you supplied to the saslpasswd2 program earlier, and
voila, you have been authenticated via sasldb. Type help at the command
prompt for further help on cyradm.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Al