imsp and sasl config

Richard Hopkins Richard.Hopkins at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Nov 28 07:03:11 EST 2003

--On Friday, November 28, 2003 11:37 AM +0000 Richard Hopkins
<Richard.Hopkins at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> --On Friday, November 28, 2003 9:19 AM +0000 Richard Hopkins
> <Richard.Hopkins at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>> Hi Phil...
>>
>> --On Thursday, November 27, 2003 7:29 PM +0000 Phil Chambers
>> <P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I made a major typing blunder when I sent this message before!  I missed
>>> "sasl." out  when I copied my options entries, so that is not my
>>> solution.  Please take another  look:
>>>
>>> I have had a very old IMSP version (pre-SASL) running for years without
>>> any  problems.  I am trying to get a new version running which uses
>>> SASL. No problem  building it, but I can't work out what options to put
>>> in /var/imsp/options!
>>>
>>> I am using saslauthd and that is working fine for my IMAP and POP
>>> processes with
>>>
>>>   allowplaintext: yes
>>>   sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>>>   sasl_mech_list: plain
>>>
>>> in /etc/imapd.conf.
>>>
>>> I have the following in my /var/imsp/options:
>>>
>>>   imsp.sasl.allowplaintext N +
>>>   imsp.sasl.pwcheck_method N saslauthd
>>>   imsp.sasl.mech_list n (plain)
>>>
>>> but I get "no mechanism available" when I try to login to IMSP with
>>> plain text  password.  (CAPABILITY shows AUTH=PLAIN)
>>>
>>> What should my IMSP options be please?
>>>

>> (First off I'll mention that you have to use version 1 of SASL with IMSP,
>> just in case.)
>>
>> The only SASL related entry I have in my imsp.options file is...
>>
>> imsp.sasl.allowplaintext N +
>>
>> I then have the "pwcheck" method stuff in the file
>> /usr/local/lib/imsp.options, as in...
>>
>> pwcheck_method: saslauthd
>
> Apologies. That should read /usr/local/lib/sasl/imspd.conf, not
> /usr/local/lib/imsp.options
>
> Richard

And more apologies! There is a version of IMSP (1.7) out which supports
SASLv2 (released August 2003) after all (although I've not looked at it
myself, yet). See the cyrus-announce archive for details.

(What I wrote above applies to v1.6a3)

Richard