SSL with OperaMail leads to STARTTLS negotiation failed in the logs ?

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Sun May 11 14:31:49 EDT 2003

Christian Schulte wrote:
> Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:
>
>> -- "Stephen L. Ulmer" <ulmer at ufl.edu> is rumored to have mumbled on
>> Sonntag, 11. Mai 2003 12:04 Uhr -0400 regarding Re: SSL with OperaMail
>> leads to STARTTLS negotiation failed in the logs ?:
>>
>>>   cs> So I have a self-signed ca certificate then and you mean that
>>>   cs> could be the problem ?
>>>
>>> What I meant was that if you didn't issue client certificates and use
>>> them for authentication, I thought that STARTTLS would fail.
>>

>> No. STARTTLS works perfectly fine without client certificates.
>

> So why does imap over SSL on port 993 work and STARTTLS on port 143 not
> where it should ? ;-)

My guess is that your client doesn't support TLSv1 and the associated
ciphers (as required by RFC 2595).  If its simply trying to do SSLv2/v3
within the STARTTLS command, its not going to work.  Eudora has the same
problem.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127