Delivering to user@domain versus user@host.domain

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri May 16 21:47:00 EDT 2003

Don Doumakes wrote:

> On 2003.05.14 21:43:43 -0500 Don Doumakes wrote:
>
>> I'm a cyrus-imap newbie, setting up a replacement mail server with
>> Cyrus.  I've got it close to exactly how I want it, and could use some
>> help taking the next step.
>>
>> I'm running cyrus-imapd 2.2.0 alpha, compiled from source, and
>> cyrus-sasl 2.1.10-1, installed from RPM.  The /etc/imapd.conf file is:
>>
>> #==============================
>> configdirectory: /var/imap
>> defaultpartition: two
>> partition-two: /usr2
>> partition-three: /usr3
>> partition-four: /usr4
>> partition-five: /usr5
>> partition-six: /usr6
>> partition-seven: /usr7
>> partition-eight: /usr8
>> partition-nine: /usr9
>> hashimapspool: yes
>> admins: cyrus at donner.cannibals.org
>> allowplaintext: yes
>> loginrealms: donner.cannibals.org
>> sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
>> sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
>> unix_group_enable: no
>> #defaultdomain: donner.cannibals.org
>> servername: donner.cannibals.org
>> virtdomains: yes
>> singleinstancestore: yes
>> #Necessary?
>> #sasl_sasldb_path: /etc/sasldb2
>> #==============================
>>
>> With this configuration, I'm able to create a mailbox named
>> user.don at donner.cannibals.org.  I can log in to that account, and
>> deliver to the mailbox.
>>
>> I then modify /etc/imapd.conf so the "admins" and "loginrealms"
>> entries are no longer donner.cannibals.org but rather cannibals.org.
>> (Of course I clean up from the first experiment, restart imapd and all
>> that.)
>>
>> Now I can create a mailbox named user.don at cannibals.org.  I can log
>> in, but if I attempt to deliver mail to don at cannibals.org I get a
>> "User unknown" error.
>>
>> I would be grateful for a hint.
>

> Still no reply to the above.  Would it be helpful if I supplied more
> information?

My guess is that your MTA is changing the recipient address to contain
the fully qualified hostname.  Can you capture what is being sent to
lmtpd, or if you know SMTP/LMTP can you talk to lmtpd directly and try
to deliver a message?

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127