Cyrus looking in sasldb2 for authentication

Etienne Goyer etienne.goyer at linuxquebec.com
Thu May 15 15:50:27 EDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 02:21:45PM -0500, Jeff Wilde wrote:
> That is how I am running saslauthd -a shadow and it is authenticating against shadow, but the problem is that it still looks at sasldb2.

Ok, now I understand.  saslauthd is only used for clear-text password
(PLAIN, LOGIN, etc).  If your client try to authenticate with
non-cleartext mechanism (CRAM-MD5, DIGEST-MD5, etc), imapd will use
sasldb2.  A work-around is to accept only clear-text authentication
method.  If you don't want username/password flying in clear on the
network, you have to ask your client to use SSL.

Your /etc/imapd.conf should have something along these lines :

---
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
---