imap not responding/cyradm hangs

Andy Litzinger alitzinger at mfn.com
Tue May 20 13:22:03 EDT 2003

On 20 May 2003 at 6:01, Jon Nelson wrote:

> Andy Litzinger said:
> > # cyradm --user cyrus --server localhost --auth plain
> >  but when I do this cyradm never prompts me for a password and appears
> > to hang.
> > I've let it sit for a  good 10 mins and no luck.
> >
> > The end of the Managing IMAP O'reilly book suggests the following steps
> > to test the  IMAP server:
> > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mimap/chapter/ch09.html#90647
> >  # telnet localhost imap
> > which is supposed to connect you to the imap server, display the banner
> > and allow  you to enter cmds such as . noop which should return status
> > of . OK Completed.
> >
> > When I try, I connect, but get no banner.  and when I try to enter
>
> It sounds like Cyrus is not running.  Hence the lack of logs.  Check
> '/var/log/messages' for errors.

Nothing in my /var/log/messages.  However, i think you are right.  Although a ps -ef |
grep cyrus yields:
cyrus  23186  1  0  May19 ?    00:00:00 /usr/cyrus/bin/master

I just started the master process with the -D debug flag and received the following:
ctl_cyrusdb: unable to init environment
fatal error: can't read mailboxes file
ctl_deliver: unable to init duplicate delivery database
cty_cyrusdb: unable to init environment
  and I am also getting some DBERROR db4 errors now in my logs.  I'll start digging
on these new errors, but if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it!

> > Step 3 is interesting because it asks you to make sure that
> > /usr/cyrus/bin/imapd is  owned by cryus:mail.  I have a discrepancy
>
> Since you are using Postfix make sure that you don't put cyrus in the mail
> group. If you do you'll get an error:
>
>   ...postfix/pipe[28807]: fatal: request to use mail system owner group id 12
>
> What you need to do is create a cyrus group and add cyrus to it. You can
> do this by adding --with-cyrus-group=cyrus option to the ./configure.

I am not getting those errors in my mail logs, and in section 3.4.2 of Luc's How To he
specifically states to put cyrus in the mail group.  Postfix itself is in the postfix group.

http://www.delouw.ch/linux/Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-
HOWTO/html/install.html#CYRUS-INSTALL