lmtpd don't advertise the "EXTERNAL" auth method

Balazs GAL balsa at rit.bme.hu
Mon Mar 24 15:41:10 EST 2003

Hi!

I use a backported version of debian's (thanks hmh) cyrus21 2.1.11-5
package.

My problem is that, lmtpd don't advertise the "EXTERNAL" auth method
on unix socket (neither on tcp). Because it cyrdeliver (deliver)
cant use AUTH parameter of the MAIL FROM command (see lmtp_runtxn in
lmtpengine.c), and because it, cyrdeliver (-a auth-id option) and the
mta cant provide the authenticated userid to cyrus. Every post is
run as
So our users cant post to the shared folders etc etc.

# socat UNIX-CONNECT:/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp -
220 mail.rit.bme.hu LMTP Cyrus v2.1.11-Debian-4.woody.1 ready
LHLO mail.rit.bme.hu
250-mail.rit.bme.hu
250-8BITMIME
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE
250 IGNOREQUOTA

Note,that lmtpd misses the 250-AUTH EXTERNAL line.

/etc/cyrus.conf:

lmtpunix        cmd="lmtpd" listen="/var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp"
prefork=1 maxchild=20

/etc/imapd.conf:

configdirectory: /var/lib/cyrus
defaultpartition: default
partition-default: /var/spool/cyrus/mail
partition-news: /var/spool/cyrus/news
newsspool: /var/spool/news
altnamespace: no
unixhierarchysep: no
admins: cyrus admin realman
allowanonymouslogin: no
popminpoll: 0
autocreatequota: 0
umask: 077
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail
sieveusehomedir: false
sievedir: /var/spool/sieve
hashimapspool: true
allowplaintext: yes
# i dont think, that EXTERNAL is neaded here
sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN GSSAPI KERBEROS_V4 EXTERNAL
sasl_minimum_layer: 56
sasl_pwcheck_method: saslauthd
sasl_auto_transition: yes
servername: mail.rit.bme.hu
loginrealms: RIT.BME.HU
tls_cert_file: /etc/ssl/certs/mail.rit.bme.hu.crt
tls_key_file: /etc/ssl/certs/mail.rit.bme.hu.key.nopass
tls_ca_file: /etc/ssl/certs/ca.crt
tls_session_timeout: 1440
tls_cipher_list: TLSv1:SSLv3:SSLv2:!NULL:!EXPORT:!DES:!LOW:@STRENGTH
lmtpsocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/lmtp
idlesocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/idle
notifysocket: /var/run/cyrus/socket/notify