Questions about LDAP schema and Multi-Domain IMAP

Jonathan Marsden jonathan at bach.xc.org
Wed Mar 5 17:06:30 EST 2003

On 5 Mar 2003, Howard Chu writes:

> Note that OpenLDAP 2.0.X does not work with Cyrus SASL 2.1.x anyway,
> so you need OpenLDAP 2.1 if you're already using SASL 2.1.

I believe this general statement to be incorrect.

That combination certainly seems to work fine here, in a multi-server
multi-domain international directory and email deployment.  OpenLDAP
2.0.27 and cyrus-sasl-2.1.7 or -2.1.10 or -2.1.12 have all worked
(currently on Red Hat 7.3, on x86 SMP hardware).  Please could you
provide specific details on how and why this "does not work"?  Thanks.

Recommending that sysadmins 'throw away' the mainstream and well
understood way of doing something, in favour of the 'latest and
greatest', is not always appropriate.  Working with bleeding edge
software, perhaps not available in the packaging format your chosen OS
distribution uses, is likely to be inconvenient at best, and lead to
increased maintenance costs over time.

Red Hat 8.0 ships with OpenLDAP 2.0.27 too, so using that distribution
it may still be appropriate to stay with that version of OpenLDAP.
Even the current Red Hat 8.1 beta release, Phoebe, sticks with
OpenLDAP 2.0.27.

It might also have been helpful to state that you are an OpenLDAP
developer, and so are naturally interested in getting people to
migrate to the current release of your software :-)

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Marsden       	| Internet: jonathan at xc.org	| Making electronic
1252 Judson Street  	| Phone: +1 (909) 795-3877	| communications work