Questions about LDAP schema and Multi-Domain IMAP

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 18:19:24 EST 2003

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 02:37:28PM -0800, Howard Chu wrote:
> As has been explained many times on the SASL and OpenLDAP mailing lists,
> there was a huge change in the SASL API between Cyrus 1.5 and 2.1. It
> required a fair amount of rewriting/new code to make it work properly. Since
> the OpenLDAP 2.0 source stream has been in "bugfix only" mode for a while,
> none of that new code went in. Only OpenLDAP 2.1 has this new code. The
> biggest difference between the two is in memory management, and if you
> somehow manage to make OpenLDAP 2.0.27 build and link with Cyrus 2.1, you
> will have memory leaks/corruption/etc. errors everywhere.
>
> But as I said before, we changed the build environment to prevent such a
> build from succeeding. It is possible that RedHat and other packagers has
> patched their source trees to override the safety checks we built in, but I
> doubt it. Most likely you just don't have SASL linked into your OpenLDAP
> package.

I guess this could use some explanation.

Things are a bit confusing on Red Hat Linux because (for now at least)
the binary packages for Cyrus SASL 2.1 which we ship also include the
libraries, plugins, and headers for 1.5.28.  At some point, when
everything's using version 2 of the library, the 1.5.28 bits will be
dropped out.

Hopefully this saves us the headaches of building version 2 into a
separate binary package ("cyrus-sasl2" or somesuch) and then renaming it
to the right name ("cyrus-sasl") later on.  It's not perfect, but given
the alternatives it seemed like the best strategy.

> > Red Hat 8.0 ships with OpenLDAP 2.0.27 too, so using that distribution
> > it may still be appropriate to stay with that version of OpenLDAP.
> > Even the current Red Hat 8.1 beta release, Phoebe, sticks with
> > OpenLDAP 2.0.27.
>
> I would guess that this is because RedHat and other OS distribution packagers
> simply haven't had time to update their distributions.

Also correct.  It bears mentioning that 8.0 was released in September,
and quite a bit has changed since then (particularly, 2.1.12 being
designated the STABLE release).  I'm personally looking forward to
moving to 2.1.

Cheers,

Nalin