MUPDATE master server

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Mar 7 11:29:41 EST 2003

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003 marc.bigler at day.com wrote:

> What would then happen to mails when the MUPDATE master server goes down ?
> Will mail be undelivered and be bounced back ? I would like to avoid the
> MUPDATE master server to become the single point of failure.

In the event of a mupdate server failure lmtpproxyd will start returning
temporary failures to the MTA, so provided your MTA queues properly,
nothing should bounce.

In terms of IMAP functionality, users can no longer do folder operations
(create, delete, setacl, etc), but they can still read mail (of any
mailboxes with metadata that had been replicated across the frontends at
the time of the failure).

So, there's a partial failure, but the majority of the system survives.

-Rob