quota problems ; overquota, quotawarning, etc

Christian Schulte cs at schulte.it
Mon Mar 10 22:52:39 EST 2003

Markus Welsch wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've set up Cyrus 2.1 with quota. Now when there is no
>quota reached already Cyrus accepts the message no
>mater what size (even if it's 800% overquota).
>
>Is there a way to reject the mails in such a case ?

No! A mailbox could never go over quota if such mails would be rejected!
If you send one email being 800% over quota cyrus will deliver the mail
and all next mails to the same mailbox now being over quota will be
handled appropriate to your imapd.conf settings!

>When are quota warnings send ? (Quotapercentage is
>already reached but I didn't get a warning).

 From imapd.conf manpage:

lmtp_over_quota_perm_failure: 0
          If enabled, lmtpd returns a permanent failure code when
          a  user's  mailbox  is  over  quota.   By  default, the
          failure is temporary, causing the MTA to queue the mes-
          sage and retry later.

quotawarn: 90
          The percent of quota utilization over which the  server
          generates warnings.

Some email clients show a dialogbox (like Outlook) where others do not
(like Mozilla-Mail). That you did not get a warning right now can be
caused of your MTA queueing the message caused by
lmtp_over_quota_perm_failure not being set!

--Christian--