Setup problem - cannot create folders/admin/mailbox?

Eric Clemens me at ericclemens.com
Mon Mar 10 15:55:32 EST 2003

I appreciate any help someone could offer with my problem outlined below.
I am trying to convert my system from using imap-uw to cyrus. imap-uw was
working fine until about 3 weeks ago when out of the blue it just stopped
allowing anyone to authenticate. After trying to fix that problem was
unsuccessful, I thought it would be better to upgrade to cyrus.

I am running FreeBSD 4.7 and installed cyrus-imapd-2.1.12 from the port
tree using make install.

I am loosely trying to follow the instructions in the (outdated) cyrus FAQ
and everything that is mentioned seems good..

I ran mkimap successfully. The directions then ask to run chattr +S on
several files. I don't know what the FreeBSD equivalent would be for a
chattr +S, so I skipped this step.

In section 8.2 of the FAQ - testing, I was able to successfully test the
server at one point, however it now appears it doesn't like my password...
hummm.

In section 8.3 of the FAQ, when I issue the command cyradm 'localhost' I
receive the following reply: 'cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with
as cyrus'

That seems to be where I am stuck.

I am running a default configuration, I have not changed any of the
settings.

I did some searching through the list archives, and my sasl_pwcheck_method
is set to saslauthd.

On a final note, I am able to log in and authenticate using an IMAP client
and a system account - but I do not have ANY folders to read mail from.

NOTE: I have folders and messages saved in folders from when I was using
imap-uw - I'd like to save that data... can I? (I have the files)

I cannot seem to make any headway on this and appreciate anyone's help and
input.

Thanks.
-Eric
 me (at) ericclemens.com