Shared folders with unixhierarchysep and altnamespace

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Wed Mar 12 10:29:09 EST 2003

Sebastian Hagedorn wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got the following settings in imapd.conf:
>
> unixhierarchysep: yes
> altnamespace: yes
> userprefix: user
>
> I can create top level mailboxes that are presented in the "Shared Folders"
> namespace. However, I haven't been able to find a way for one user to
> access another user's mailboxes, even if its ACLs would allow it.
>
> Can this be achieved with altnamespace?

Yes.  What IMAP client are you trying to use?  The client may be
stupid/broken.

Here's some imtest output on my test config which proves that it works:

[ken at eagle ken]$ imtest -p 9143 -t '' -m login localhost
S: * OK eagle.oceana.com Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.prealpha server ready
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED
AUTH=CRAM-MD5 AUTH=NTLM AUTH=OTP AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=SRP LISTEXT
LIST-SUBSCRIBED ANNOTATEMORE X-NETSCAPE
S: C01 OK Completed
C: S01 STARTTLS
S: S01 OK Begin TLS negotiation now
verify error:num=19:self signed certificate in certificate chain
TLS connection established: TLSv1 with cipher DES-CBC3-SHA (168/168
bits)
C: C01 CAPABILITY
S: * CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4rev1 ACL QUOTA LITERAL+ MAILBOX-REFERRALS
NAMESPACE UIDPLUS ID NO_ATOMIC_RENAME UNSELECT CHILDREN MULTIAPPEND SORT
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES IDLE STARTTLS AUTH=CRAM-MD5
AUTH=NTLM AUTH=OTP AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=SRP
LISTEXT LIST-SUBSCRIBED ANNOTATEMORE X-NETSCAPE
S: C01 OK Completed
Please enter your password:
C: L01 LOGIN ken {7}
S: + go ahead
C: <omitted>
S: L01 OK User logged in
Authenticated.
Security strength factor: 168
. NAMESPACE
* NAMESPACE (("" "/")) (("user/" "/")) (("shared/" "/"))
. OK Completed
. LIST "" user/%
* LIST (\HasChildren) "/" "user/test"
. OK Completed (0.000 secs 6 calls)
. MYRIGHTS user/test
* MYRIGHTS user/test lrs
. OK Completed
. EXAMINE user/annie
* FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Draft \Deleted \Seen)
* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS ()]
* 1 EXISTS
* 1 RECENT
* OK [UNSEEN 1]
* OK [UIDVALIDITY 874939759]
* OK [UIDNEXT 2919]
. OK [READ-ONLY] Completed
C: Q01 LOGOUT
Connection closed.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127