Pausing Cyrus for Snapshots?

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Mar 16 13:24:15 EST 2003

--On Thursday, March 13, 2003 3:01 PM -0500 Jared Watkins
<jwatkins at snowcrash.homeip.net> wrote:

> I've not been able to find the answer to this in the docs or mailing
> list...   I'd like to use the snapshot feature of the linux volume
> manager to take block level snaps of the cyrus databases and mailstore at
> regular intervals.  To ensure consistency of the databases I assume you
> need to shut down cyrus...  but I was looking for a way to do this
> without disconnecting imap and pop clients... a way to suspend
> operations.. flush the databases and sync the disks before taking a snap.

Cyrus has no facilities for doing this. We do backups using the Veritas
vxfs snapshot feature.

The databases can all be backed up live; at least one of the two copies in
db.backup[12] is guaranteed to be sane, so if on a catastrophic failure the
databases are corrupted, you can try one or the other.

Larry