On Red Hat Linux use cyrus-imapd RPMs (was: Perl 5.8 and Cyrus Imap)

Jonathan Marsden jonathan at bach.xc.org
Thu Mar 13 22:35:42 EST 2003

On 14 Mar 2003, temp at tl165.net writes:

>> I suggest that you completely remove your attempted hand-compiled
>> cyrus installation, and use the Red Hat RPMs from

>>   http://home.teleport.ch/simix/

> not exactly right, I just install tarball cyrus-sasl 1.5 before,
> then I install cyrus-imap-2.1 more than twice.

OK, so uninstall all traces of *all* those hand installs!

> and I think every time the newer shall replace the older files, will
> it ??

That depends a lot on how you configure things each time.

> I never use rpm or srpm package of cyrus-imap and cyrus-sasl.

Why ever not?  They work fine, and save you a lot of trouble.  I
really suggest that you try them.  But delete all the old
hand-installed stuff first.

You have chosen to use an RPM-based OS distribution.  So, when RPMs
exist for your OS and architecture, using them saves you a lot of
work, and avoids re-inventing the software configuration for your
setup by hand the hard way, and getting confused.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Marsden       	| Internet: jonathan at xc.org	| Making electronic
1252 Judson Street  	| Phone: +1 (909) 795-3877	| communications work