Cyrus::IMAP, referrals, murder, mailbox moves, etc.

Michael Bacon baconm at duke.edu
Wed Mar 19 15:31:22 EST 2003

We're working towards getting a Murder deployed at the moment, starting
with using it to move mailboxes between servers.  I've got a few questions
here about locking, and about how cyradm deals with the murder when
administrating mailboxes.

First off, how does the mailbox appear to the user on the old server while
it is in the process of moving from one server to the next?  Can they see
it in read-only mode, or does it disappear entirely, or is there a chance
for data corruption if they make changes to it while the mailbox is in
transit?  Should all of the ACLs be cleared on the old server before the
move starts, then restored when the move is finished, or is that taken care
of?  Also, what happens if delivery to the mailbox is attempted via lmtp
during the move?  Is it rejected with a "Mailbox does not exist?" or does
it fall into some kind of pit?

Secondly, is there a way to get cyradm (or alternately, Cyrus::IMAP::Admin)
to return the backend server where a mailbox is located?  Or is there some
query you could send to the MUPDATE server to find that information?  In
other words, is there some way we can automate mailbox administration so
that the administrator doesn't have to go hunting around trying to figure
out which server a mailbox is on in order to change ACLs on it?

Thanks,
Michael