authentification question (passwords stored in /etc/shadow) => sasl (conversion)

Markus Welsch markus.welsch at suk.net
Fri Mar 21 04:12:58 EST 2003

Hi all,

Is there a way to use passwords from /etc/shadow from another system - like
putting that file on the server and accessing it through PAM ?

The best solution would be to store all user account data in an SQL database,
since I'll be storing the new users there ... the problem with the old ones is
that I do not have the passwords for these. As old POP3 server I used  vm-pop3d.
As new one I plan to use Cyrus 2.2a (since the virtual domain support in it
which I require). The only solution besides using PAM I can think of could be to
use something like tcpdump ...

Any help ?

Kind regards,

Markus