lmtp read error

Morgan Sackett msackett at suckafoo.net
Wed Mar 26 21:14:45 EST 2003

Rob Siemborski wrote:

>Not that Cyrus Murder is the only reason the use TCP LMTP.  Its entirely
>reasonable to have your MTA on a separate machine and have delivery to
>cyrus happen via TCP LMTP over the network.

This is my planned usage.  I am migrating mail services from one machine
to another on a different network, and would like to just move delivery
of messages to the new machine while DNS info updates.    However, I am
having troubles getting lmtpd to listen to anything.

>Though, if your MTA is sharing a machine with cyrus, its generally to
>your advantage to use the unix socket.

This is my prefered method once all mail is accepted by the local MTA.
 However, sockets don't seem to be working either.

I have tried configuring lmtp via tcp listening on both
localhost(127.0.0.1) and the public interface.  I would prefer not to
use the public interface for long as it poses some security risks.  Both
configurations result in a "read error" message from the MTA.

 I have also tried using sockets, but get a "connection refused error".
 What could possible causes be?

As far as system setup goes,  I am running FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE, and have
built both postfix and all Cyrus software from the ports collection.  Is
there an incompatiblity with any of this?  It would be great if all I
needed was to rev a version.  Is there a configuration option I should
check?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  If anyone has Cyrus + Postfix
running on a FreeBSD 4.7 box, I'd like to hear how you have it configured.

Morgan