Bare newlines

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Fri Mar 28 10:26:34 EST 2003

Sebastian Konstanty Zdrojewski wrote:

> I was attempting to move an email message from a local account onto an
> IMAP directory located on Cyrus. The client I am using is Netscape
> Mail and usually it gives me no problems. This time, I am not able to
> move the message because the client gives the following error:
>
> Unable to perform operation. Message contains bare newlines.
>
> The message has an attached PDF file (2Mb size) and a signature with
> image integrated. Any idea of what can be my problem?

In IMAP, messages are required to have \r\n as line terminators, not
just \n.  Many other IMAP servers (or mail clients' local folders) do
not enforce strict RFC compliance, while Cyrus does -- when we converted
from UW-IMAP to Cyrus I had to write code to munge messages into the
proper format (8 bit or null data in headers, and bogus headers are the
other two issues you will likely run into).

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931