interesting limitation

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Mon Mar 31 11:45:54 EST 2003

Dave O wrote:

>2 level hashing would work, but I don't know if Cyrus supports that.  It
>would most likely be trivial to implement.
>
>eg spool/s/sm/user/smith

Or in the case of full dir hashing, have a second hash function and hash
the names that get assigned to one bin into an additional set of bins.
 As was previously mentioned, having multiple partitions also solves
this problem but since the trend seems to be consolidating storage it
would be nice to be able to handle the large numbers of users in a
single partition rather than creating multiple partitions in the same
filesystem with the associated administrative hassle.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931