Linking imapd with db-4.1.25

Lars Peterson lars at itech-mke.com
Fri Jun 6 15:24:54 EDT 2003

On Fri, June 6, 2003 2:05 pm, John Alton Tamplin wrote:
> Lars Peterson wrote:
>
>>Snippet from configure's output:
>><===
>>checking for db.h... yes
>>checking for db_create in -ldb-4.1... no
>>checking for db_create in -ldb4.1... no
>>checking for db_create in -ldb41... no
>>checking for db_create in -ldb-4.0... yes
>>===>
>>
>>When I do an ldd on the resultant imapd binary after the build
>>finishes, I see that it been linked to the bdb libraries that came
>>with the RedHat install (4.0.14-20).
>>
>>I've played around with LDFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>>environment variables to try and force the directories of my
>>non-standard libraries and headers to be loaded first, but that
>>didn't change a thing.
>>
>>I'm reluctant to remove the RedHat db4 installation because I quite
>>certain that it would break a large amount of dependencies...
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>

> In the directory you passed for bdb-libdir, is there a
> libdb-4.1.so? Are permissions on it set properly?

Yes libdb-4.1.so is in the same directory I passed to configure for bdb-libdir.
Permissions are same user I'm building as, and mode is 775.

I was able to link against these libraries successfully for an openldap-2.1.19
build.

> BTW, you may be happier using 4.0.14.  On Solaris anyway, I
> consistently ran into problems after a week or two of uptime with
> 4.1.25, and that all went away after downgrading to 4.0.14.

I'll take this into consideration. I've had no problems thus far with db-4.1.25
with respect to openldap / slapd...

What kind of problems were you seeing on your Solaris box?

Lars