Compiling Cyrus IMAPD on AMD Opteron

John Alton Tamplin jtampli at sph.emory.edu
Fri Jun 13 09:49:39 EDT 2003

curtis at oushi.org wrote:

>Compiling with the -fPIC fixes the problem.  I had to do this for the
>following: imclient.c imparse.c xmalloc.c imapurl.c iptostring.c assert.c
>util.c libisieve.c prot.c
>
>Why does -fPIC fix this problem?

Code to be used in a shared library must be position-independent, since
it will be linked into various applications at different places in the
various applications that link to that library.  The linker was
complaining that a relocation type used was not suitable in a shared
library because it could not be made to be position-independent, and
recompiling with -fPIC made the compiler avoid that addressing mode and
relocation type.

--
John A. Tamplin                               Unix System Administrator
Emory University, School of Public Health     +1 404/727-9931