Compiling Cyrus IMAPD on AMD Opteron

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at debian.org
Fri Jun 13 10:05:00 EDT 2003

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, curtis at oushi.org wrote:
> Compiling with the -fPIC fixes the problem.  I had to do this for the
> following: imclient.c imparse.c xmalloc.c imapurl.c iptostring.c assert.c
> util.c libisieve.c prot.c
>
> Why does -fPIC fix this problem?

Because of either:
  1.  AMD64 is unforgiving of non-PIC code mixed with PIC code where it
      shouldn't be (libraries)
  2.  Compiler bugs.

Anything that goes inside a lib should be -fPIC. Really. I have done this in
the Debian build (which runs OK in S/390, IA64, Alpha, MIPS, MIPS-EL...)
ages ago. I don't know if these changes are in CMU Cyrus.

I don't think the Cyrus build uses --shared, but I didn't check.

> >>../../lib/libcyrus.a(imclient.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 can not be used
> >>when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

Yep. Arch dislikes mixing PIC and non-PIC code inside a relocatable object.

  Henrique Holschuh