Compiling Cyrus IMAPD on AMD Opteron

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jun 13 12:10:41 EDT 2003

   Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:11:41 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Rob Siemborski <rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu>

   > > Yep. Arch dislikes mixing PIC and non-PIC code inside a
   > > relocatable object.
   >
   > Correct.  On Solaris, I build lib/ and perl/sieve/lib with -fPIC
   > just to build cyrus-imap perl stuff.

   Hmmmm.  We've never had to do this on solaris.

Yeah, Solaris is one of the platforms that is tolerant of mixing
non -fPIC into shared libraries. It poses a large memory hit (shared
libraries with non -fPIC code aren't shared between processes).

The major problem with trying to add -fPIC to the distribution is that
isn't how it works on all compilers and all OS's. Thus the pain that
is libtool. I've thought about making all of Cyrus build with libtool,
and then I read some of the bug reports we get because of libsasl's
use of libtool and start thinking better of it.

   I wonder if we could write a configure test to determine if this is
   necessary on a given platform.

To do it in all generality requires duplicating libtool.

Larry