migrating from sendmail/shadow to sasl on new box

blast blast at fusebox.com
Fri Jun 13 10:20:26 EDT 2003

John Alton Tamplin wrote:

> blast wrote:
>
>> As far as I've been able to find, the only way to migrate use info
>> from an old box running sendmail authenticating against shadow to a
>> new system running postfix authenticating against sasldb2 is to use
>> the auto_transition feature.  Is this true, or is there perhaps a
>> manual_transition feature that I might employ?
>

> If you have their clear-text password, or are willing to reset the
> passwords, it would be trivial to write a script to do it.  Otherwise,
> you do not have sufficient information (shadow only stores a one-way
> hash of the password, using crypt or md5 depending on your OS and
> configuration) to regenerate the clear-text password that is required.

That is what I assumed initially as well.  But after looking into things
just to say I did, it occurred to me that since sasl can store passwords
as md5, I might be able to cut-and-paste my md5 shadow hashes into
sasldb2 somehow.  Might you be able to explain why this won't work (not
that I've been able to get it to work of course ;)?

basem