ctl_cyrusdb looping

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 17 11:36:46 EDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Jim Howell wrote:

> > > The first time through I let it run for 15 minutes, the "done" message came
> > > in 81 seconds.  Should I of let it keep going?  What can I do to prevent
> > > this from happening again?  Thanks.
> >
> >Most likely it was processing your duplicate delivery database, which can
> >be quite large and take some time to process (you can generally tell what
> >is going on by truss/strace on the process).
>
> We don't use the duplicate delivery feature.  Duplicate suppression is set
> to no in the imapd.conf

The duplicate delivery database is still maintained (its also used for
things like sieve vacation).

But its totally safe to delete in this circumstance.

> >Options you have are to just delete it or to wait.  Killing the process in
> >the middle of recovery is probably not ideal.
> >
> >If you're using Berkeley DB for your duplicate delivery database, you many
> >want to look at increasing your checkpoint frequency.  This could help
> >reduce the amount of log that needs to be played back during recovery.
>
> We use skiplist for the Mailboxes DB although we compiled in the duplicate
> delivery function with db3, but like I said we don't use it.

Except that you do use the database ;)

One thing that might be slowing down your rebuild is if you never expire
the entries either (via ctl_deliver).

-Rob