Naive Sieve question

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jun 25 03:15:04 EDT 2003

I'm still relatively new to Sieve (we've been using Exim filter files up
to now), so I suspect I'm missing something obvious here.

What is the recommended way to filter mail delivery reports? I'm the
postmaster for a 25k user mail system, and really don't want all of the
bounces in my primary INBOX. Neither of the two obvious approaches:

   if envelope :is "from" "" {
      fileinto "bounces"; stop;
   }

or:

   if header :is "return-path" "<>" {
      fileinto "bounces";
      stop;
   }

seem to work. So far the best that I have come up with is:

  if not envelope :contains "from" "@" {
     fileinto "bounces"; stop;
  }

which works (at least in our environment), but isn't very pretty.

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.