problems with imap and imsp installation

Ted Fines fines at Macalester.edu
Thu Jun 26 11:53:48 EDT 2003

Phil,

The SASL/IMAP/IMSP installation is about as difficult as any I have run
across.  While the amount of work on Project Cyrus is very impressive,
thorough documentation of it just doesn't seem to be available.

If you do manage to get a SASL/IMAP/IMSP installation running, maybe you'd
care to put together a nice HOW-TO for the rest of us?

I gave up trying to use the new IMSP that uses SASL.  I simply could not
get it to compile on ANY platform (Solaris, Linux, FreeBSD were tried).  I
use an older version with a patch that allows it to authenticate to the
imap server.  Still, the imsp daemon crashed very frequently on Solaris 8.
I recompiled it -- exactly the same way -- on FreeBSD, and it is very
stable.

Just try to get it all working with LDAP too!

You wrote:
> Surely, thousands of people must have installed the cyrus imap/imsp
> combination on  Solaris 8 without anything like this trouble?

I think that's optimistic.  The number of imsp installations *might* be in
the triple digits, but I doubt even that.  I have absolutely to
quantitative data to back up that statement, of course! :)

You can get autoconf, autoheader, etc. packages from
<http://www.sunfreeware.com>, but you probably already knew that.

Ted

--On Thursday, June 26, 2003 4:26 PM +0100 Phil Chambers