problems with imap and imsp installation

Rob Siemborski rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 26 12:17:59 EDT 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Ted Fines wrote:

> The SASL/IMAP/IMSP installation is about as difficult as any I have run
> across.  While the amount of work on Project Cyrus is very impressive,
> thorough documentation of it just doesn't seem to be available.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record on this list, if you have
specific suggestions about documentation improvements (especially with
well-written patches), they are always welcome.

> You wrote:
> > Surely, thousands of people must have installed the cyrus imap/imsp
> > combination on  Solaris 8 without anything like this trouble?
>
> I think that's optimistic.  The number of imsp installations *might* be in
> the triple digits, but I doubt even that.  I have absolutely to
> quantitative data to back up that statement, of course! :)

Yeah, the number of IMSP installations is probably pretty low.
Especially given that I suspect the total number of Cyrus IMAP
installations is somewhere in the thousands as it is (though always
increasing.. Apple recently choose to include Cyrus IMAP in Panther
Server!)

-Rob