non-existent msgids & duplicate delivery suppression

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Fri Jun 27 09:10:47 EDT 2003

-- Stephen Grier <s.e.grier at qmul.ac.uk> is rumored to have mumbled on
Freitag, 27. Juni 2003 13:47 Uhr +0100 regarding non-existent msgids &
duplicate delivery suppression:

> I have noticed that this has been happening on other occasions, where
> lmtpd does a duplicate_check and then a duplicate_mark on zero length
> message-ids. This raises the possibility that the server is suppressing
> messages that are not duplicates, but merely have no message-id header.

That in itself is very weird. Every MTA along the way should add a
message-id if there isn't one. Or are you saying there *is* a message-id,
but it's empty? That would be horribly broken, but might explain why one
isn't added by the MTAs ...
--
Sebastian Hagedorn M.A. - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zi. 18, Robert-Koch-Str. 10
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK