non-existent msgids & duplicate delivery suppression

Phil Chambers P.A.Chambers at exeter.ac.uk
Fri Jun 27 12:59:35 EDT 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 16:52:02 +0100 (BST) David Carter <dpc22 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Stephen Grier wrote:
>
> > We use Exim here. The messages do have a Message-Id: header, but with an
> > empty value.
>
> Eeep. That's no fun at all.
>
> > I assume Exim will not add or alter the msg-id in this case.
>
> I suspect this is the case, though arguably Exim should do something about
> this case. I'll have a chat with Philip the next time that I see him.

Exim can be made to replace a blank message-id with a good one.  Alternatively, if
you switch on strict header testing it should reject the message because a blank
message-id does not conform to the header syntax.

Replacing the header will depend on the version of exim.  With exim-4, in the
relevant transport you could have a headers_remove line which is conditional on the
message-id being blank, then have a headers_add line, similarly conditional.

I am not an expert, but a message to exim-users at exim.org should give a detailed
solution (be sure to say what version of exim you have: "exim -bV" will give it).

Phil.