huge bug

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Jun 30 15:52:12 EDT 2003

OK.  After talking with Rob and with Mark Crispin (author of UW IMAP),
the problem comes down to an unfortunate implementation decision in
Eudora and a change in the wording of the MIME specification from RFC
1521 to RFC 2046.

Technically, there is nothing syntactically incorrect with the MIME
message generated by Eudora.  Unfortunately, Eudora 5.1 and earlier
generates MIME boundary strings which can contain other boundaries as
substrings.

There is wording in RFC 2046 (which wasn't present in RFC 1521) which
states that such boundaries should be treated as the same.  This is what
Cyrus does.

UW IMAP whose original MIME parsing code predates RFC 2046, still
follows the RFC 1521 text which mentions nothing about the substring case.

None of us know why the substring text was added in RFC 2046, but both
Cyrus and UW can claim that they are correct.  The fact that Eudora has
been changed in v5.2 to match RFC 2046 is a good thing, and all users
are urged to upgrade.

In lieu of this, I have just added a "eudora_mime_hack" option to Cyrus,
which will be available in v2.1.14 ("real soon now") to work around the
MIME boundary issue.