huge bug

David Carter dpc22 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 28 03:15:11 EDT 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Laurent LAVAUD wrote:

> huge bug for us...
> [...]
> What make me think it's a cyrus bug is that if we send exactly the same
> message to the same server that runs wu imap instead of cyrus,
> everything is fine!

I don't know about 5.02 verus 5.2, but the second patch in the following
message would seem to be relevant to the problem that you are seeing:

  http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?
    mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=22838

On a similar vein, Outlook Express has problems with \Seen flags without:

  http://asg.web.cmu.edu/archive/message.php?
    mailbox=archive.info-cyrus&msg=19703

Neither of these are bugs in Cyrus, but there do seem to be an lot of
broken IMAP user agents out there. Its a big problem for those of us
migrating from other mailstores which happen to work around these bugs.
(Or in the case of the Outlook Express problem and the UW server fail in
such a way that the user agent quietly recovers behind the scenes :().

David Carter                             Email: David.Carter at ucs.cam.ac.uk
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502
New Museums Site, Pembroke Street,       Fax:   (01223) 334679
Cambridge UK. CB2 3QH.