What to use when no AUTH=

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Mon Jul 14 07:39:15 EDT 2003

Roman Neuhauser wrote:
> # ken at oceana.com / 2003-07-13 09:39:53 -0400:
>
>>Roman Neuhauser wrote:
>>
>>># rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu / 2003-07-01 10:25:29 -0400:

>>>   Care to share some details?
>>
>>Do a google groups search for the keywords "courier imap compliance" or
>>a search for "courier" where the author is "mrc at cac.washington.edu" and
>>you should get a handful of hits.
>

> # rjs3 at andrew.cmu.edu / 2003-07-13 09:55:10 -0400:
>
>>http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=Pine.LNX.4.50.0206050910320.6814-100000%40shiva0.cac.washington.edu
>

>     Well, MrSam's reaction to Crispin's complaints is somewhat

Actually, Sam has publicly stated numerous times that some of his code
is non-compliant because he doesn't agree with the spec, and therefore
won't change it.  AFAIK, he has never taken part in any working group
discussion on IMAP, which is where he should address these issues.
Violating a spec after its been written, isn't the way to go about
voicing your complaints.

>     unfortunate even if he has my sympathy. While we're pointing
>     fingers: although I intended to switch to Cyrus (for unrelated
>     reasons) I ended up installing another Courier-IMAPd: much easier,
>     better documented, and I got to avoid SASL:
>
>     http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=sasl+vulnerability&btnG=Google+Search

Cyrus, and no other decent software package that I know of, still
_depends_ on SASL v1.5.x.  AFAIK, development of this version has
stopped, although there have been bugfixes in CVS.

>     BTW, is anyone of you on postfix-users@?
>
>     http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=105687915100001&r=1&w=2

Nope, I use Sendmail.  I don't understand why people have such a hard
time setting up SASL.  If you use either sasldb2 or saslauthd, its
trivial.  If you use MySQL or LDAP (which I've never tried), it gets a
little more complicated.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127