What to use when no AUTH=

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Mon Jul 14 14:39:40 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 04:39, Ken Murchison wrote:

> Nope, I use Sendmail.  I don't understand why people have such a hard
> time setting up SASL.  If you use either sasldb2 or saslauthd, its
> trivial.  If you use MySQL or LDAP (which I've never tried), it gets a
> little more complicated.

Actually, LDAP was a good deal easier to configure with 1.5.24 due to
the permissions problems people had with non-root servers (Cyrus and
Postfix) reading /etc/shadow.  I mention 1.5.24 as if it were relevant
because it's the last release certain large Linux distributors released
before going to 2, and many of us, it seems, still have servers based on
that.  I'm only now getting around to upgrading to 2 & 1.5.27 to use
saslauthd, which makes the whole permissions problem simple.

People also often seem to be confused as to where to put the various
configuration parameters--it can be in the applications config file
('sasl_pwcheck_method' in /etc/imapd.conf) or in the SASL lib dir
('pwcheck_method' in /usr/lib/sasl/Cyrus.conf or is it imapd.conf?).

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * * *  Linux Services for Small Businesses  * * * * * *
*       Easy, reliable solutions for small businesses       *
*    Naked Ape Business Server http://nakedape.cc/r/sms     *